About Our Program
Kootenai Clinic Family Medicine Coeur d’Alene Residency combines a multitude of regional resources to train family physicians to meet the challenges of a growing rural community in the 21st century. We provide residents with the unique experience of practicing medicine in northern Idaho under the direction of an experienced and diverse faculty and dynamic curriculum.
As an affiliate of the University of Washington Family Medicine Residency Network, Kootenai fully participates with national leaders in family medicine, rural practice and patient-centered primary care.
Our faculty has the experience and skills necessary to train residents for rural medicine as well as inpatient and outpatient family practice. Their professionalism and first-hand experience make them ideal mentors for fostering and teaching compassionate patient care. Our practice-based environment creates a team approach to learning and allows open feedback to help to improve each individual and their teammates. Kootenai is the only family medicine residency in north Idaho.
What makes us special
- Unopposed residency program, preparing residents for rural practice by providing the opportunity to be closely involved in high intensity cases and create close relationships with specialists.
- University of Washington Family Medicine Residency Network (UW-WWAMI) affiliated program, consistently ranked No. 1 in family medicine residency training by U.S. News and World Reports.
- Curriculum offers full spectrum, patient centered medical care including; high intensity OB care, abundant inpatient adult medicine through a family medicine inpatient service, excellent inpatient pediatric medicine at the highly regarded Providence Sacred Heart Children’s Hospital.
- Robust OB curriculum, including training in high-risk antepartum, chemical dependency in pregnancy, and low risk pregnancies, with training by OBs, nurse mid-wives, and family medicine providers.
- Elective opportunities include wilderness medicine with Schweitzer Ski Patrol or ROW Adventures; international elective, child and adolescent behavioral health, gastroenterology, infectious disease, palliative care and many other options available dependent on resident interest and expertise.
- Faculty with diverse interests in dermatology, skin cancer, holistic medicine, nutrition, HIV/AIDS care, infectious disease and substance abuse (just to name a few).
- Family medicine service that cares for hospitalized family medicine practice and community patients and benefits from evidence-based teaching delivered by family medicine attendings.
- Strong resident/faculty partnership empowers residents to shape the program to meet their needs.